Music Banter - View Single Post - Would you enjoy the music you listened to as a teen if you heard it for time today?
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

I still enjoy the Beatles and Led Zeppelin and many of the classic rock songs I listened to when I was a teen, which dominated my musical landscape. I certainly would find some of them boring and overplayed, but the bands that I loved then I still love or really enjoy today. The bands I only kind of liked then are pretty much non-existent to me now. It's a weird dynamic since a good portion of my friends got into current music when they were in their teens and are now going back to find new music to them. I'm the opposite. They loved bands like the White Stripes, Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand and Gorillaz back in the early/mid 2000's and those are the bands I got into 2-3 years ago. Now they tell me how they really like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. It's a weird dynamic and I'm simplifying their music taste and my own, but it goes to show that our musical taste certainly goes through some kind of evolution.

I typed all this down when I read the thread title and thought it was asking the question the other way. Moral of the story: slow down and read the damn thread title, ET!
Spoiler for Would I enjoy the music I listen to today as a teenager?:
If I'm being honest with myself and go back to when I was 13/14 and the only band I listened to was Led Zeppelin... there is no way I would be able to listen to 90% of the music on my iPod right now. I listen to plenty of rap now and 14 year old me was in the mindset of "You can't spell crap without rap!" and would never have bothered to listen any kind of rap. Also, I had some bias towards new music that I could not explain. I think it had a lot to do with my father being very hands on with the music I listened to and approving of what he considered good music, aka classic rock on the radio.

I look back and think of the albums that were turning points for me musically, like the first album I got into without consulting my father was MC5's Kick Out the Jams. The first album I researched and found for myself was a compilation of Soft Machine's first two albums. The White Stripes' Elephant made me realize when the music was made really meant nothing and new music could be good too. And License to Ill was my breakthrough with rap, as it had friendly recognizable samples I could latch onto.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote