Music Banter - View Single Post - The separation between the artist and his music.
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I really don't see any issue with liking an artist for their music alone at all. I also don't see it remotely as being a double-standard.

As far as the person in question turning out to be a rapist/murderer/child-molestor/horrible-er...did their music ever rape, murder, molest, or horrible anyone?

I personally separate myself from my work, and the two things are not at all one in the same. You can appreciate the good someone's done without focusing on the bad, just as you can appreciate anything aesthetically pleasing to you without acknowledging any flaws in the creator. If something moves you, you shouldn't be made to feel guilty or hypocritical because of this. If you take the moral "high ground" because of disagreements with the person who has created something you enjoy, then you're just missing out, plain and simple.

Sure, they shouldn't have done whatever the **** they've done, but that's their prerogative and something that can be dealt with by appropriate laws and regulations. Don't treat the musician or artist themselves any different than you would in general, e.g. don't try to become a murderer's bestie because you dig that track he laid down, but still appreciate the art.

I'm not God or Allah or whoever, and I'm not the police, so it's not my place to punish the person. I might not go out of my way to attend any concerts, certainly would not attend a meet and greet, but if I like the music, I like the painting, I like the book...that's all that matters to me.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote