Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rolling Stones
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #156 (permalink)
Monkeyleg
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neardeathexperience View Post
The thing is when the so called stadium acts started to tour it required like 30 transport trucks to ship the stage, lighting and equipment around which drove the cost up greatly of putting these shows on therefore the cost was absorbed by the ticket holders and " advertisers " of the tour...........
That's very true, too. I don't know that the truckloads of lighting and props and such made the shows any better, but I'm sure they made the band members feel more comfortable having the same setting for each show.

By that point, the concerts were shows, too. They were performances. I mentioned earlier seeing the Doors. As good as they were (it was the one of the last shows before Morrison died), their performance was boring by comparison. Led Zeppelin was better, Jimi Hendrix was ok.

At least the rock stars started making some real money for their work. Contrast the Stones with Chuck Berry, who never really made much, flew coach (a friend's mother sat and talked with him on a flight), and has a pretty modest house.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote