Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #13145 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I'm really amazed at how many people loved this. I thought it was your generic indie-type rom com, resplendent with cliche. There were great acting performances, to be sure, but there was disappointment there, as well.

DeNiro's role was not fully fleshed out, there was the generic token black guy for comic relief and to teach the white people how to dance, which seemed trite and kind of irritating.

Lawrence and Cooper were amazing, but the script left something to be desired, and, again, DeNiro's character was scarcely used.

I saw the movie as: I'm crazy, and hence, probably unlovable, but I'm going to try to love as a normal person. Yeah? I'm also crazy. I like to have sex. A lot. Let's dance. I won't have sex with you, because I'm playing it cool. Your dad, eh? Ah, he's the C-storyline. He gets overlooked even by the guy who tried to escape the psych ward with you at the beginning of the movie.

And then the cliche love-y dove-y scene at the end...Jesus God. I really wish that something more inventive have been done. I understand it was based on a book, which I haven't read, so if it was quite true to the book, then shame on the author. If not, then SHAME upon SHAME on David O. Russell.
Did it deserve the high praise it got? Probably not. It didn't do anything unique or daring. The performances made the film really. If they weren't in there the film might have looked like something Nicolas Sparks would have adapted. However I think the thing for me is that I'm not a very big rom/com guy so the cliches that people talk about aren't experienced by me very often. I'm sure there are other rom/coms out there that do the genre better but for me this just hit a chord the way Lost in Translation did. I'm not saying they're equal. LIT had amazingly beautiful cinematography and Bill ****ing Murray but both their characters hit me on a personal level. I saw myself in both Bob and Charlotte and their love was a subtle one which I loved. SLP did somewhat of the same thing where I found qualities in them that I found elsewhere. This time it was qualities I found in others I care about.

So yeah it was kind of a personal love of this movie. Can't say I disagree with your assessment but for me it was just different. That and come on...Jennifer Lawrence...come on...
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote