Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #82 (permalink)
Thinkofthechildren
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I really think it's entirely unjustified to assert that in 1967, when VU&Nico was released, that every songwriting element present on the album had been done before without backing up that statement with some examples of songs, artists, or genres which VU borrowed from. Extraordinary claims deserve extraordinary evidence.

Conversely, what is so groundbreaking about Trout Mask Replica? What makes it a much more innovative album than Velvet Underground & Nico?
Firstly, the song structures. Pop music at its core. Then with the sound, Bob Dylan, psychedelia, garage, and of ofcourse traiditonal rock n roll, it had all been done before. VU&Nico was nothing new in 1967. I mean really only one track I feel can only be compared to the avant gardeness of an an actual avant garde record, e.g. TMR, is the song Black Angels Death song and also I guess the subject matters. The beauty of VU&Nico is it perfected songwriting, or atleast conventional songwriting. It has an 'x-factor' if you will, which is unexplainable, which is why it seen as groundbreaking.

Describing TMR, its cold, its analytical, because you can easily dissect why it is avant garde or groundbreaking. You cannot with VU&Nico. And I'd rather opt for the album with genuine emotion rather the indifference that a TMR causes with me, and probably everyone else.

This is the same with Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain but not VU&nico's extent.

Last edited by Thinkofthechildren; 04-21-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote