Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #83 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkofthechildren View Post
Firstly, the song structures. Pop music at its core. Then with the sound, Bob Dylan, psychedelia, garage, and of ofcourse traiditonal rock n roll, it had all been done before. VU&Nico was nothing new in 1967. I mean really only one track I feel can only be compared to the avant gardeness of an an actual avant garde record, e.g. TMR, is the song Black Angels Death song and also I guess the subject matters. The beauty of VU&Nico is it perfected songwriting, or atleast conventional songwriting. It has an 'x-factor' if you will, which is unexplainable, which is why it seen as groundbreaking.

Describing TMR, its cold, its analytical, because you can easily dissect why it is avant garde or groundbreaking. You cannot with VU&Nico. And I'd rather opt for the album with genuine emotion rather the indifference that a TMR causes with me, and probably everyone else.

This is the same with Psychocandy by Jesus and Mary Chain but not VU&nico's extent.
I think the problem is that I entirely misread your original post. I actually agree with 90% of what you're saying, but I do think that VU can be credited for some innovation. Everyone draws from a pool of influences; It's just an inescapable fact, especially today, but what they did remarkably well was to take a lot of disparate resources and combine the best elements of each into a style that was uniquely their own. To me, what they produced was more like a repurposing than a rehashing, like 'found' music, the musical embodiment of Warhole's stolen art with an image that screamed rock & roll. In this case imitation is innovation and not just flattery.

...but I still can't handle Nico's voice.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote