Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batcave: Where The Batlord Sits On His Bat-Throne Plotting His Bat-Schemes
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #117 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Pre-Electric Wizard Is Pretty Wizard: Part II

Thy Grief Eternal: ...On Blackened Wings

I'm not as familiar with Jus Osbourne's second incarnation of what would become Electric Wizard, but I remember it being similar to Lord of Putrefaction, just a bit closer to Electric Wizard. Time to remind myself...

Yeah, the death metal vocals are still present (and sweet), but the rest of the death metal influences have been purged and we are left with pure unadulterated death/doom. Gone are the furious death metal riffs, and we are left with only slow and heavy doom. This is actually some pretty depressing stuff. The raw production of Lord of Putrefaction has also been ditched for a more atmospheric and creepy atmosphere, though it is no less putrid or heavy. If Lord of Putrefaction was city block heavy, then Thy Grief Eternal is another two city blocks on top of that one. It's not Dopethrone heavy, but it's definitely on it's way to bigger and better things. I imagine Jus was listening to a fair share of funeral doom at the time, though this is definitely not funeral doom. Just funeral doom-ish. As such, this isn't as easily approachable as Lord of Putrefaction, and it hasn't quite mastered the art of making slow, drony riffs that work like in Electric Wizard, but this is still quality stuff that is worth your time.

Spoiler for Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.:

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote