Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #84 (permalink)
Thinkofthechildren
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I think the problem is that I entirely misread your original post. I actually agree with 90% of what you're saying, but I do think that VU can be credited for some innovation. Everyone draws from a pool of influences; It's just an inescapable fact, especially today, but what they did remarkably well was to take a lot of disparate resources and combine the best elements of each into a style that was uniquely their own. To me, what they produced was more like a repurposing than a rehashing, like 'found' music, the musical embodiment of Warhole's stolen art with an image that screamed rock & roll. In this case imitation is innovation and not just flattery.
I agree with all of this.

Also, I'll give TMR its dues. Theres definitely some amazing tracks on that album, Ella Guru, Hair Pie Bake etc, but look, there is not one song on TMR that is better than Sunday Morning, Heroin, Venus in Furs, All Tomorrow's parties, I'll be your mirror, Black Angels death song. But I guess TMR is about the album as a 'collective' and sure that argument is valid, but as a collective VU&Nico is a GAGGILION times better anyway. It goes through every single emotion on an emotional spectrum, because it crosses so many genres. Every song on TMR pretty much makes me feel the same, no emotional diversity because all I got through my head is "this is cool because its different".

Last edited by Thinkofthechildren; 04-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote