Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rules of Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I want to discuss the perhaps considered 'old fashioned' rules of etiquette. Are there any particular rules you like to follow? Do you think etiquette is still relevant in modern society?
Maybe there is need for etiquette in the royal court of England. Like do not speak to the queen first, wait until the queen speaks to you talk first. Carole Middleton, the mother of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, made that faux pas in the carriage after the wedding. The queen was all out of sorts, thinking "Where's the manners on this"? "She's a lively one, I wish she shut her pie hole." I think that is the difference between having etiquette and not having etiquette. You can be a negative Nancy on the inside but if you don't say what you think no one can call you on it. I think if you're not part of any royal court, and you're just a plain commoner as long as your are kind and friendly you don't have to worry too much about etiquette.

Quote:
Is it considered to PC now to behave an expected way, even if it makes someone else happy?

Quote:
To a varying degree there has to be some rules, for example not making a scene in front of your friend in a shop. I may have done that recently and regretted it.

My second thought is the following. I think this comes under the same topic. I was fantasizing today how I would love to be able to experience having a man open a door for me, pull my seat out at a restaurant and offer a space on the bus. I think it's such a cool courtesy that I believe men would benefit from too. Because, if a man was to do something like that for me, I would thank him, ask him about his day and perhaps consider him worth meeting again.

A great website for you to learn more about the rules of etiquette is:

Emily Post Etiquette Daily
I'll hold the door for you any day.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote