Music Banter - View Single Post - KiD CuDi - Indicud (2013)
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Default KiD CuDi - Indicud (2013)

First of all, I just want to express my sadness that there are no collaborations with Ratatat. He promised.

Nonetheless, CuDi basically wrote and produced the album alone. So bravo!

1. The Resurrection Of Scott Mescudi
2. Un****wittable
3. Just What I Am Feat. King Chip
4. Young Lady
5. King Wizard
6. Immortal
7. Solo Dolo Part II Feat. Kendrick Lamar
8. Girls Feat. Too Short
9. New York City Rage Fest
10. Red Eye
11. Mad Solar
12. Beez
13. Brothers
14. Burn Baby Burn
15. Lord Of The Sad And Lonely
16. Cold Blooded
17. Afterwards (Bring Yo Friends)
18. The Flight Of The Moon Man

I get the sense that every one of these songs is for stoners. So.

Q: Is the album good when not high on drugs?
A: As a whole, not really. I wouldn't listen to it from start to finish again. It drags at parts, and the beats are pretty monotonous and repetitive. I got bored by the end of almost every track.

However, there is something distinct and unique about the sound of the album, a certain hint that KiD has grown up since his first mix tape and MOTM 1 & 2. That said, there's something much darker about his sound now. His lyricism is as good as ever, and the choruses are familiar enough that you can connect it to his earlier work.

"Just What I Am Feat. King Chip" is once of my favorites, and it was released as a single back in 2012. I also like "Girls," because it is so funny. No prejudice! I see pretty girls/like, everywhere!

I also dig "Brothers."

Another interesting piece is "Cold Blooded." Would be EXCELLENT for a movie soundtrack. Amazing writing. I don't know why, but the first word that comes to mind when I hear it is "tempting."

Tracks I really don't "get" are the intro track, "The Resurrection Of Scott Mescudi." It's weird and eerie and it doesn't make me want to listen to the rest of the album. Interlude "New York City Rage Fest" has a title that makes no sense and nothing really notable about it, so you can skip that one, too.

I didn't like the vocals on "Red Eye." I'm not sure what her shaky voice problem is. The instrumental is sweet, though.

As for the rest...well, it's pretty much forgettable. Sad, but true.

Overall rating: 5/10. You're not missing much if you never give this album a play. But, with good things still expected to come from KiD CuDi, you should give it a listen just stay up-to-date with a very interesting and evolving, talented guy. Oh, and if you're a stoner, you'll probably like it, too.
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote