Music Banter - View Single Post - How blunt should I be with people?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleaves View Post
Okay. So a good question is, why do we believe what we do in the first place? Just seems to me like we choose to believe what society shares an opinion of or finds to be correct. It's like we would have to get out a history book and find where everything started. Trying to be different for the sake of being different tends to be considered a bad thing. Why?
You're doing the same thing the "normal" people are doing. You're trying to find your identity by appealing to some arbitrary standard set down by some random asshat or set of asshats. Fooling yourself into thinking that you're any different than the normies just because only a minority of people subscribe to your chosen fashion trend is just self indulgent self delusion.

Quote:
I'll give an example while trying to keep it PG. There are certain things a person finds phsyically attractive about a mate, and society tends to share these opinions and agree on them. But many years ago, I'm pretty sure I have read that society found diffent things attractive about a person. I'd be part of the new society but why? What happened to change opinions?
Okay...yeah at one point long hair was considered masculine and now it is considered feminine. It's pretty much arbitrary. Why exchange one set of arbitrary aesthetics for another set?

Quote:
To be different by a choice is rather stylish, in my opinion. That's how I see it.
Stylish? According to whom? People who choose to judge others by an arbitrary set of aesthetics that have no inherent value? Why would you care about some goth's or punk's or whoever's opinions of you if you don't care about mainstream society's? That's just goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
Be honest Batlord, scleaves is your sock puppet in some weird virtual parody to go with your fight club avy?
No. I am Janszoon's sock puppet. I am ashamed of my secret love for Manowar and have created The Batlord in order to share it with the world without having to actually admit it.

Edit: The ****? I just read scleaves' sob story thread. How could I have missed such awesomeness? I didn't even get to post in a thread that somehow or other became about me. At least in a secondary kinda way.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 04-23-2013 at 09:03 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote