Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #13156 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed View Post
Django Unchained A great performance from Christoph Waltz, I also enjoyed the soundtrack and cinematography. I liked the first half of the film best and thought it started to drag in the third act. I felt there were some character inconsistencies towards the end that were added only to advance the plot. Regardless, it's an excellent film though I think they could have achieved the same results in less time.
My thoughts exactly. I thought the last half hour of the film was completely unnecessary and I found myself trying to will the film to end. This is a bad sign given my liking for anything QT does. Basterds is one of my favorite films ever and I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the film. I'm just going to turn it off after the showdown between Foxx, Leo, and Waltz.

Arbitrage

Not bad Dick Gere. Not bad. In a weak year for acting I think he'd get a couple nominations but this year was somewhat packed with great performances. I thought it was a pretty decent political/family thriller punctuated by great performances all around especially from Gere and Tim Roth. It's weird but when Tim Roth does and American accent it comes out wrong but in no way bad or annoying. He does wrong right for some odd reason. It's worth a viewing.

3.5/5

Goon

Not as bad as I thought it would be. I think it rewarded itself by not having Sean William Scott be the funniest or even the second funniest character in the movie. I thought all the humor came from all the secondary characters on the hockey team and Jay Baruchel including one of the funniest lines I've heard in a comedy recently...

Hilarious.

3/5

Solaris

Well that was interesting. This is my first Tarkovsky film as I still have to see Ivan's Childhood and Stalker but I'm glad I got this out of the way now considering it's nearly three hours long. This film, among other similarities, suffers the same fate that Kubrick's 2001 suffered in the way that it's gorgeous cinematography couple with plot devices that can be discussed for years but at the same time is completely boring as sh*t. Seriously. This could be sold over the counter as sleeping pills. This is no way takes away from the film it's just that it is a challenge to watch and I usually LOVE slow films. The ending was as haunting and confusing an ending that I've ever seen and was a bow on top of a great albeit long film experience that I'm glad happened. I'd like to see his other films now considering he's a legend of auteur cinema.

4/5

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote