Music Banter - View Single Post - Screen's 66-69 Rare Single and Album of the Day!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

After a long time away...time to start again!
4-20-68 - BB Magazine - The soundtrack to Richard Rush's Dick Clark-Produced Hippie Exploitation classic Psych Out starring Jack Nicholson is given a review. The album, released on the all mighty Tower Records, who were going to have one of it's biggest hits that year with the Wild in the Streets soundtrack, this was a nice souvenir of it's existence. The theme song performed by the Strawberry Alarm Clock is a reminder that they may have been a one-hit wonder, with that song featured in the film itself, but they had some other songs worth noticing.

As a bonus in this post, I will feature my favorite scene featuring the legendary Seeds with another two chord killer "Two Fingers Pointing At You".

For the single, It's very early George Clinton, in his Soul years, with The Parliaments! OK, it's a little before the Mothership showed up, but still this is a nice and catchy song that showed that they could have been contenders, but it had to take a full on re-arrangement of the show to break through.

Chart-wise, this debuted at #126, then the next week went to #124, then off the face of the page. As you can see, the game plan had to be changed.

Look At What I Almost Missed is an apt title...I almost forgot to put the You Tube on here!!! Teaches me to rush-post before going out.

One bonus track for you from an album that also got reviewed by BB on that day, also on Tower...The Inner Mystique by The Chocolate Watchband which is a cult favorite, but not the best place to understand why The CWB are ranked high with Garage Punk fans. Featuring instrumental songs created by Producer Ed Cobb just to fill in the gaps as the band was fragmenting (Mark Loomis was already in another band in Late 1967, Tingle Guild, before returning to the CWB), hardly anyone except for those going to their concerts and noticing the line-up changes seriously knew what was going on with the band. Still, especially with the title track, Cobb's contributions are seriously on par with an AIP Exploitation film when it came to faux-Psych even if they were not representative of the band.

As for the Watchband tracks, there was a re-recording of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue", a song featured on their first single back in 1966 as well as a version of the G-Punk classic by the Brogues, "I Ain't No Miracle Worker". A cover of We the People's "In the Past" certainly had what it took to remain a fan favorite leading to numerous covers, including one by Ulver.

Despite the messed-up state of affairs at that time, the eye-catching cover certainly did some work to place it in a precursor of the Bubbling Under Albums chart called the Action Albums list, and it must be admitted that as a whole, the album actually works well.

Excuse some of these add-ons, just trying to make up for lost time...

Last edited by Screen13; 04-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote