Music Banter - View Single Post - When you LOVE music, but are incapable of creating anything
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
samba
Groupie

Thumbs down When you LOVE music, but are incapable of creating anything

I've been sniffing around this forum for a short while lately looking at threads, and I decided that I should finally make a thread here.

I read this thread here, and there was something I wanted to add, or well actually discuss something somewhat related to this link below:
musicbanter.com/talk-instruments/43011-can-you-music-lover-if-you-dont-play-instrument-2.html

So lately, or well actually this specific year, I've been listening to music in such a high degree that at some days I could almost say it's been an obsession, I listen mostly to instrumentals, movie soundtracks, classical, techno, etc, and that for occasionally 6 hours each day, however that is gradually kinda fading away.

Now the actual dilemma here is that I am kinda having the issue that each time I take a seat by the piano and start playing, I start combining chords and changing finger positions and all the basic stuff you do on the piano, and I get lured to various rhythms from others songs and I can all the time hear and recognize songs which I have heard in earlier times, and that comes as a very big issue to me, because I can't create something original. I must be doing this unconsciously.

Playing by ear, has always been magic to me, however, I haven't mastered it at the even slightest degree, so that is not the problem, if some of you were thinking that.

Should I just accept that I am incompetent at making music, or do some of you have some kind words or something, encouraging and extravagant, how to solve this.

Thanks,
samba is offline   Reply With Quote