Music Banter - View Single Post - Screen's 66-69 Rare Single and Album of the Day!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
Thanks!

I agree with your words about the Seger System album. I was looking through my notes, and noticed that it was one of the many albums that had a quick rise and fall on the charts in Early '69 from Feb. to Apr., pretty much the norm for a lot of Rock albums at that time (BB peak #62). This was a time when The Beatles' "White Album" was still selling strong and The Stones' Beggars Banquet was not far behind while there was interest in Elvis' return to form that resulted in a good-selling Top 10 album.

It was at a point where Seger's career was only very popular in Detroit and Florida, with some major interest elsewhere only when "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" was a hit. I can see where not much has been mentioned about it despite being in print for a very long time. Overshadowing that album with some of the industry's focus on Detroit a month after the album's check into the Top 100 was none other than The MC5's Kick Out the Jams, so right there and then you can see a small reason why the interest in the System's debut taped off quickly, resulting in yet another album fans love but gets overlooked - here's a straight ahead solid album and then here comes something loud, powerful, and controversial that turns into big news enough to eclipse the rest of the Detroit scene for a little while.

This was part of the continuing saga of Seger trying to make a strong break out of the local music scene, now with running the risk of being a one-hit wonder: "Heavy Music" was about to break through, but Cameo-Parkway closed it's doors just when the single was trying to break into the Top 100 only to stop slightly short of that; "2+2=?" was the Capitol debut single that had some interest, but was possibly making Capitol worry about aiming for Detroit talent after missing with The Rational's fine ballad "I Need You"; The Ramblin' Gamblin' Man album slightly under-performing after breaking through with a strong single. Plus, when it came to grass-roots Rock, you could say a band called Creedence Clearwater Revival were possibly stealing Seger's thunder (Right place, right time) as Bayou Country was released at the same time - talk about being overshadowed by an album you can compare it to in terms of style and quality.

The System's next album, Noah, certainly broke the momentum with only a half-good album (Tom Neme's tracks watering down the album), and then it was a series of albums that were overlooked before things changed around by the time of Beautiful Loser. Sometimes little slips like that can kill off the momentum, leaving a quality album left standing alone with it's fans, and many of it's follow-ups up to and including Beautiful Loser were championed by a lot of listeners along with that debut but not heard by the mainstream.

The CWB: Neat trivia time - as The Inner Mystique was an Action Album, another vinyl in that list a few months later was Pink Floyd's A Suaserful of Secrets, at that time also on Tower in The US! Those album had their listeners, although in the case of the Floyd, it was a case of what if it was on the parent label, Capitol instead of the sub-label that concentrated on AIP soundtracks.
I remember Noah being a poor album, but from that period his best album along with Ramblin Gamblin Man was probably Back in 72 another very good album, then after that they became the Silver Bullet Band.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote