Music Banter - View Single Post - Will Going Mainstream Make Dub Step Lame?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

I remember posting a Boxcutter video in a dubstep thread quite a while ago and someone responding to it saying that I wasn't dubstep to him because there really weren't any breakdowns in the song and that's what epitomized dubstep to him. I didn't really quite get that, because hadn't quite caught on to the whole wobblestep craze, which is basically what we've come to know now as dubstep (even though it seems to have merged with electro lately.), but the reason why the genre, in many people's opinions gets worse as it grows in popularity is because the trend is toward longer, more dramatic build-ups/break-downs and and seeing how ridiculously hard you can wobble the shit outta the bass line when it drops, it's what sells and after a certain point it got annoying as fuck.

I know you can't talk about how much better the early Bristol scene was without sounding like a pretentious hipster, but it really represented a point where the art form was in the crafting of the song and not just the bass line.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote