Music Banter - View Single Post - The myth behind motorcycle clubs?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The myth behind motorcycle clubs?

Here's one for anyone who owns a motorbike or is in, or has been asked to join, a motorcycle club. I get all my information from TV admittedly, mostly through documentaries on crime and gangs, but it seems (and this could of course be totally wrong, a deliberately skewed view) that when you either have or get a motorbike of any appreciable size, or move to a new town with your bike, the local motorcycle club takes notice and usually asks you to join. These clubs invariably seem to dabble in a lot of crime (I know: I watch too much "Sons of Anarchy"!) and the impression I get is that you're kind of expected to join, and if you don't there's a kind of unspoken hostility between you and the club members.

But if you are law-abiding and have no wish to commit a crime, why should you feel obliged to join? And do you? Do they make you feel that way? I mean, sure, it's a great idea: guys getting together talking about bikes, racing them, comparing them, upgrading/repairing them and going to shows etc, but if in order to get that sense of camaraderie and belonging you have to expect to engage in criminality, is it worth it?

Have I got this completely wrong? The docus I watched seemed to indicate that a new guy in town or guy with a new bike was usually automatically targeted for membership, and the offer couched in such a way as to advise if might be a bad idea to refuse. Is this correct, or fantasy? Can a guy with let's say a Harley be allowed lead his life and enjoy his bike on his own, or is he expected to join a club, and if so, is he expected then to run with them in their criminal ventures?

Anyone own a bike (in the US I would guess) and either in a club/gang or been approached by one? Or on the other side, anyone happily ridin' without ever being approached by a club? Any truth to the rumours about their always being on the wrong side of the law?

I'd be interested to know.
Thanks
TH