Music Banter - View Single Post - The most powerful song
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thinkofthechildren
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenotaph View Post

I have known and loved this song since my obsession with music began six years ago (before I was even a fan of The Velvet Underground). Every time I play this song I get chills and I usually start tearing up. Why? It's gorgeous and conveys so much fucking emotion and meaning with very few words and notes.

I don't care about the reputation, hype, or influence of this band. I just care about the music, and to me... this is one of the most important songs I have ever listened to. It (as well as the album it comes from) has not only dramatically effected my taste in music, but also still moves me to this day.

Of course, it is impossible for me to choose a favorite song (or even album or artist), but as far as the (personal) importance of this band, song, and album goes... this easily takes the cake. There are also very few songs that hit me as hard as this one does for such a long time...
This, this and this.

The melodic guitars at the beginning is probably the most relaxing sonic piece of music that I have ever heard. Lou's voice aswell, throughout the whole song is just monotone, which mirrors his nihilistic lyrics. The amazing thing is, when subject changes to death and heroin, he starts singing romantically to it.

Then the heart pounding crescendo. And then, the viola starts slowly down, drums slowing down, the guitars starts slowing down, and there is a sharp sound of feedback to signal the song going back to the melodic quieter bits, so sharp it just rips through you. And then a strum at the guitars to end it.

No song will ever match the emotion of Heroin by VU. Anthem for a 17 year old girl by Broken Social Scene I think was close, maybe I'm So Tired by Fugazi, maybe final day by Young Marble giants, maybe from safety to where by Joy Division, maybe words by Low. But still not close.

Last edited by Thinkofthechildren; 04-28-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote