Music Banter - View Single Post - mental health thread
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #83 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
I believe that everyone, to some degree, has a mental illness.

I have a couple that really hinder my ability to feel any approval for myself, but generally avoid discussing it because society has this ridiculous notion that all people suffering from mental illness are going to bust down their front door and murder their whole family or something.

Mental illness in itself isn't something anyone should feel bad about living with; the objective is really just finding a way of coping with it. I don't think anyone can be "fixed" because most thoughts and behaviors that are considered "abnormal" live within everyone. In other words... while it is exhausting to be sick, the exhaustion is there; while most people don't understand it, it's not their responsibility to. Just think "well, this is part of me, and I might as well roll with it" but if things get to the point where you can't handle life anymore, it might be best to reach out to a professional (or several - many psychiatric doctors are different; every one of them has their "thing" that they know, but someone else might be able to help you a lot more).
Possibly, but research has shown it's very common. An ad on Kiwi TV said at least 1 in 5 have a mental illness. But someone can research it if they want legitimate statistics.

I had depression 5 years ago, triggered by a physical assault but that only lasted a year, even though depression is severe in practically all members of my family. I had PTSD after the Christchurch earthquakes for 5 months and occasionally have low levels of anxiety but otherwise I'm a really happy-go-lucky person.

I think my experiences with mental illness have shaped me and made me a stronger person.