Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Listens to Random **** and Talks About It
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

The Jesus Lizard: Goat

Well, I've had a hit and miss relationship with noise rock so far, so I don't know how I'm gonna feel about this band, but they get so much mention that I figure it's about time I gave them a shot...

Moderator cut: image removed

Well, this is another Albini production, and I notice that this has the same vibe as Surfer Rosa. I guess that's just something he does. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I just finished with the Pixies review, and now I'm hearing a production that sounds pretty much the same. I'm hoping I don't end up feeling about Steve Albini the way I feel about Rick Rubin, where at first you marvel at the power his production gives his projects, but eventually you get sorta bored with how it takes a lot of the personality out of the bands he produces.

I think Jesus Lizard might just be a miss, at least for the moment. Maybe subsequent listens may reveal some awesomeness, but for now I'm kinda bored. I have a lot of the same problems with noise rock that I do with hardcore. It just sounds like a bunch of noise (imagine that) and there's not much for me to latch onto. Of course noise rock isn't usually as dull as hardcore, but it's still pretty hit or miss with me.

Spoiler for I'm too lazy for a click joke and it's kinda hot in this room.:
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote