Music Banter - View Single Post - Rabbiting On: Big Ears' Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

I'd never heard of this Atomic Rooster assortment before and initially thought it was a 'best of comp' created by yourself. I've listened to all the songs above and read your notes in great depth and picked up on quite a few tidbits of the band that I didn't know. The best four songs on the comp as far as I'm concerned are "Sleeping for Years" a really heavy and stellar track with some great touches "Death Walks Behind You" of course and "Break the Ice " which is a great track. Finally the "Decline and Fall" which as you say is to showcase the talent of Carl Palmer.

What's most interesting about the band here are the vocalists. It's clear that Nick Graham wasn't a leading vocalist and John Du Cann gave the band a lot more weight in the vocal department BUT the best vocalist on this comp was the one song performed by Peter French a very good vocalist in every aspect. As for the band leader Vincent Crane, he was very much the British answer to Ray Manzarek and was the anchor of the band. I've never listened to the 1980 Atomic Rooster album and you say it's punk inspired.......that's ironic considering that punk had really helped to destroy the glory days of progressive rock in the 1970s.

I don't know if this makes sense, but the band have a real sense of romance about them.........I think this could come from the fact that most of its members had quite tragic endings!

Best three albums I'd say in this order 1) Death Walks Behind You 2) Atomic Rooster 3) Made in England

My favourite song by the band which wasn't on the comp and I'm sure you know it really well.

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 04-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote