Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you believe in ghosts?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #121 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldPo View Post
This is pretty amazing Duga! I would like to hear what you have to say on why you think ghosts could exist though. I have not had any real encounters since I was four, only various things that could well have been something else.
I think I've mentioned it in various spots over the years here, but I like talking about it so here's my take.

I've devoted myself to science, so I obviously look for the simplest and most rational explanation to anything. However, that doesn't mean that I don't recognize when human logic and intuition just aren't powerful enough to get the job done. That's when I resign that there are things science is nowhere near explaining and while we may understand it someday, it won't be for a long long time. That's when I try to apply theories based on what we do actually know. I'm very much of the Carl Sagan school of thought where modern science answers many questions, but when we reach the current limit we have to turn to philosophy.

The human mind is a powerful thing. While we are nowhere near an explanation, I believe in telepathic ability. I mean, we see simple forms of this in insect colonies and extreme instances of human "intuition". I don't understand why people have such a hard time buying into it. I mean...we communicate with cell phones by using invisible signals that would have seemed like magic to people a hundred years ago. Why wouldn't the brain be able to do this?

Anyway, this kind of mental power, in my opinion, can leave its imprint on the world in unexplainable ways (in terms of modern science). I think human emotion can greatly influence the environment, even if you boil it down to a basic level: temperature. Angry people make a room hotter. I think an unexpected and tragic death can cause confusion to someone's conscious mind, resulting in "imprints" on the surrounding environment. Hence the reason ghosts are typically of people who were murdered, died unexpectedly, etc. That confusion at the time of death...or anger at its occurrence...can alter the surrounding environment.

So...do I think ghosts are the "souls" of the departed? No. I think they are environmental imprints.