Music Banter - View Single Post - Eugenics and the 21st Century
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Do I believe in eugenics? No. Do I believe in being able to remove undesirable genes Gattaca style? Yes, but with limits. For example, ensuring your child doesn't have Down Syndrome would be something I hope everyone can agree on. There is absolutely no detriment to being able to eliminate risk for disease and genetic disorder. However, my reason for not allowing the picking and choosing of the "best" genes isn't really a moral stance...it's more of a scientific one. Eventually, genetic diversity will be diluted out and the human race would put themselves at risk.

I know a lot of this seems like science fiction, but we are very close to all being judged based on our genetic makeup. Currently, it costs about $2000 to re-sequence an entire genome. That is down from about $10,000 a little less than 10 years ago and well over a million 20 years ago. Once that comes down to $100 dollars, everyone will be required to have their genome sequenced (sorry, it's just gonna happen). Then your insurance rates will be based on your genetic predispositions. I hate to say it, but this stuff is inevitable.