Music Banter - View Single Post - Eugenics and the 21st Century
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post

I'm actually really excited for the opportunity to have my personal genome sequenced. I know that I will find things out that I probably don't want to know (i.e. that I'm at high, high risk for some terrible disease like Alzheimer's, etc.), but it will feed my curiosity about genetics in general. Plus we don't have the ass-backwards issue of being discriminated against because of predisposed health conditions. Canada =

However it does raise the question of genetic privacy and who will be able to see or have access to your personal DNA sequence. This lovely scientist explains the concept of DNA sequencing and genetic privacy very well, I think:
I'm excited about it too! I'm really keen to know whether I'm likely to get breast cancer when I'm older as my grandmother got it at 21 so there is a higher risk for me. She also has has trouble with her reproductive system which I've had trouble with too. I certainly agree about the privacy part, it's nobodies business what you body's health conditions might be.

New Zealand is getting very close to being openly accepting of people with disabilities and mental illness. There's still more work to be done to make offices and public places more disability friendly.