Music Banter - View Single Post - the definition of "troll" escapes me. yes. i'm serious.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Default the definition of "troll" escapes me. yes. i'm serious.

i'm sure there are a good number of people around here who have at least begun to acknowledge my childlike ignorance when it comes to internet etiquette. if not, awesome. but if so, please forgive me. music banter is the only forum that i've ever been on, and it's where i learn everything about forums.

anyway. as of about 15 minutes ago, i've been accused of trolling twice. for the first person who ever called me out on it (and not the second, because i don't feel the need to explain myself to an idiot), i would like to say that it confused me because i (perhaps ignorantly) look at the structure of a forum as a conversational framework. as in, back and forth. sometimes there are many people, and sometimes there are few. sometimes it's lighthearted and sometimes not so much.

i guess what escapes me about the definition of what trolling is stems from the fact that i never say things to incite anger. i say what i say to get my point across, and as is the nature of conversation, rivulets and streams often occur outside the main body, and i find myself checking in on and adding to an ongoing conversation.

so i suppose my question is: is it a faux pas to look at forums like this? is it expected of members to have perfectly worked out the substance and explanation of their point in an effort to make a single, contributory post?

seriously. i have no idea. any and all thoughts please.