Music Banter - View Single Post - mental health thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #120 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
( Moved this from sexual experience thread )

No not professional in any way. Just what I have gleaned from my own experiences first and second hand. Unfortunately bipolar isn't something I have any personal insight with. Finding the right shrink is certainly a challenge. I'm not exactly pro-meds but I do think they have their place. I also think they are way over-prescribed. Lables are good and bad when it comes to mental illness. I think it's never as clear cut as a simple lable would suggest. Generally it's the closest fit to a cluster of symptoms, usually biased to the prescribing doctor's area of expertise. I guess I can only say to keep looking for a good match shrink-wise. Oh and look after yourself. The basics like diet and exercise are too easily dismissed.

Sorry if that comes across as patronising or anything. I wish you wellness.
Every individual needs a different combination of approaches and techniques, and some of those may include aspects of biomedical, behavioural, and insight therapies. The most important think is to find a psychologist who you like, and that can take some shopping around, but it plays a massive role in client recovery.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote