Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #1790 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Well done, TH, for emphasising the way in which high quality music was created on, what is now, relatively primitive technology. The Beatles only had four tracks, but Paul McCartney has said they recorded on separate tracks and then put them on to one and then built it up layers of subsequent tapes.

In irritates me when people, with hindsight, call this sort of instrumental synthesizer music, new age. At the time, it seemed like a new form of symphnonic or classical music. Certainly, I would group Jarre's music with that of Vangelis, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream and Dave Greenslade.

Jean-Michel is son of Maurice Jarre who wrote the scores for Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago, among many other films. If my memory serves me correctly, he also wrote the score for Caravan to Vaccares (1974), which starred Charlotte Rampling, Jean-Michel's future wife.

Jean-Michel Jarre's next album, Equinoxe, is almost as good as Oxygene. I was not aware of Oxygene Parts 7-13, so I will have to track them down.