Music Banter - View Single Post - the definition of "troll" escapes me. yes. i'm serious.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Anytime you are confused about memes online just head over to know your meme. They have a pretty extensive page on trolling and the different types.

Trolling | Know Your Meme

Anyways, why is Zelda always saving the princess?
so, i've been doing a little reading via knowyourmeme. it's interesting. as i read the below quote it dawned on me why i've been accused of trolling. i just really am that naive when it comes to a lot of things, and generally i don't let pretense or etiquette get in the way of finding common ground in terms of understanding. i will ask pretty much whatever question comes to mind, and i will feel totally innocent when i'm doing it. i would rather embrace my naivety than deny or hide it. it's just the way i am, in real life and online. if i didn't ask all the questions i do i wouldn't know anything. forever a "n00b" i suppose.

In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word “troll” to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities. Early trolling was relatively innocuous, taking place inside of small, single-topic Usenet groups. The trolls employed what the M.I.T. professor Judith Donath calls a “pseudo-naïve” tactic, asking stupid questions and seeing who would rise to the bait. The game was to find out who would see through this stereotypical newbie behavior, and who would fall for it. As one guide to trolldom puts it, “If you don’t fall for the joke, you get to be in on it."

Last edited by P A N; 05-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.