Music Banter - View Single Post - Vinyl collecting vs. CD collecting
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Gimme Vinyl! OK, a lot of my collecting is now more based on getting a lot of my 80's memories back, which usually results in going through the El Cheapo used bins (When it comes to The 80's, there's very little that's seriously collectable unless we're talking about those "Limited Edition" things or a rare Punk album), but still there's something about having that album in hand. To those into music of the pre-CD age, the original pressings - even those pressed on that infamous crappy vinyl some US companies were releasing their product on by the Late 70's - also give off that feeling of being there in a time when so many are content to just stream (nothing wrong with that, just mentioning it). The cover art completes the picture as well.

CDs are great for collections of 60's/70s's bands who's work you know you will never seriously get in full and the Industrial/Techno stuff and the Underground Metal albums I sometimes buy as it was all about The 90's for me (and usually the more rare and experimental the better). But besides the occasional find, it's vinyl for me in the long run...then again, I'm at the age where it just connects with me for those memories.

Attachment 5199

The attached photo is me with the "Cards" from Three Dog Night's Seven Separate Fools album, the one with "Black and White" on it. Found the album for a dollar with the complete package and a nice conditioned vinyl. I read that they usually had inserted some poster in their albums on occasion (I think Suitable for Framing had one), but they are usually not found unless you get it at a higher price. Finding what's arguably Three Dog Night's best non-greatest hits album cheap in good condition with slight cover wear that actually fits the Playing Card style cover was pretty cool.

Last edited by Screen13; 05-03-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote