Music Banter - View Single Post - Vinyl collecting vs. CD collecting
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Thanks mate! Personally, I don't think CDs get enough love. Even if vinyl has a deeper and "warmer" sound, CDs have a cleaner more "perfect" sound.
For me, CD brings the listener to a lot of the details. Living in The US where albums were pressed in a cheaper way by the Late 70's, causing a lot of the sound to drop in quality by the end of the side, it's great to hear the songs in full fidelity.

I think that when it comes to "Prefect" sound, the more experimental CDs of the 80's and beyond are perfect for the format. Chris and Cosey's CTI experimental collaboration album Core introduced me to that concept as an owner of the vinyl and reading some of the notes on it. The packaging was great, but Industrial was interesting to me and the then-new tech sounded a bit lacking on vinyl after getting my first CD player. I used to be one of those Luddites who was always wishing for a Vinyl Dominated world - although getting the good stuff was always to my advantage in that way of thinking as something like a Cramps album was always value for the money in both packaging and music - but looking through the imports and reading about the "Brave New World" of Industrial of the time just broke the ice for me.

Plus, when it was affordable for Indies to press a CD, it created another "aura" (to use a pretentious word) to collecting, especially when the packaging went ecological. Sadly, I may have to go the Amazon route for those memories as a lot of the records stores around me lack in that area of music.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote