Music Banter - View Single Post - About getting a sound card
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
stevesonthebay
Music Addict

i have a lexicon alpha interface which is good and easy to use. does everything i want and i can add effects to the library by downloading them. the one thing i don't like about it is it doesn't have any midi i/o or a preamp for a condenser mic. i have heard a few people say the focusrite Scarlett 212 is good it has all the connections and a preamp with phantom power.
i got my lexicon from cash converters they seem to have a lot of music gear, something about people seem to hock a lot of music gear. i get most of my stuff from there have bought a couple of good guitars and always 1/2 the price and in good nick.
Ive looked on eBay a few times and they have some good interfaces at decent prices. a lexicon alpha goes for $99 some will post for free or very cheap. another thing to consider is a good mic. no matter how good your equipment may be the mic can let it all down. i am using a couple of dynamic mics which are OK but i have to turn the gain up a fair bit to get some volume when recording and this can bring out some hiss. Ive found that a condenser mic is better esp for vocals as it has a cardioid diaphragm which is more sensitive and gives a clearer and truer sound for vocals. you need a pop filter and a preamp with phantom power. you can also use them for acoustic instruments and you will need to have a quiet place to record as they will pick up any other noise coming in.
i also have a Yamaha mixer going into my interface which gives me more lines and the preamps. if your on the road and want to record a band then a laptop is needed for the comp based recording if you are using the stand alone equipment then im not sure what you need to get. i would imagine some sort of multi track recorder or a mixer and the recorder. there are probably equipment out there that has it all in one as well as capability to connect digital. using the computer based recording you have a lot of software that can act as mixers/effects in fact anything you want and is cheaper. stand alone i would think would not be cheap and not sure if it would have the same capabilities. another thing is some say that using analog equipment gives a better sound more live and authentic as apposed to digital sounding artificial and techno.