Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #4528 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well Benteke is the first Villa player ever to score 18 goals, so on that alone you'd have to say he was better. Dwight was on fire in his day though, one of the ones who helped us scale the heights in the mid to late nineties. However considering how he left the club he wouldn't be on my top list of players, and also considering where he went! I think he really let Gregory down that time, and after that most people were glad to see him go.

Although not strikers, Andy Townsend and Paul McGrath were better, more loyal servants to the club. During his day, McGrath was seen as one of the best defenders in either country.

The trouble with Villa is they've never been big enough to keep the better players. Bent is surely on his way (wouldn't blame him, wasted talent) and Benteke will soon hear the call of the bigger clubs. If we want to keep our players we need to be assuring them a reasonable place in the table each season, not a relegation dogfight or mid-table obscurity, and Champions League football has to be a target too. We won the European Cup AND the UEFA Super Cup in 1982 and were top of the Premiership for a few weeks back somewhere around 2006/7 I think. We can do it if we believe, cliche though that may be.

Mind you, we have to survive this season first!