Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Default Hot space!

REVIEW 002: HOT SPACE BY QUEEN
Year: 1982
Genre: Rock/Funk/Disco

In 1980, Queen released "Another One Bites The Dust." It became a hit very easily, with it's funky bassline. The band wanted to repeat this success, so they recorded a funky Disco/RnB/Dance-influenced Rock album. This alienated their older fans and made Queen less relevant than ever before. Guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor did not like the new sound, believing that Freddie Mercury's current manager had influence over him. But is this album as bad as many seem to think? Let's find out.

1. Staying Power
Perfect for an opening track, but it sets the tone for things to come. Less rock, more funk. It has a (pretty good) funky horn arrangement and a drum machine. Yes, Queen used a drum machine. This was indeed a low point in their career. Decent, catchy track, but it sets the tone of the album.

2. Dancer
Synth bass. Indeed a low point. It's a decent dance track, but it's not at all memorable. The only catchy part of the song is the chorus.

3. Back Chat
I rather like this song. This is what the whole album should've sounded like. Catchy Rock-Dance fusion with the Rock being the leading element. Y'know, or just do a Rock album. But this is indeed a great catchy track.

4. Body Language
Worst song on the album. There is barely any guitar here, and the guitar that is here is barely freaking noticeable. Synth bass sounds lame here. And Freddie Mercury wrote this song, so you'd think he'd know what he'd be doing here, right? Wrong. The entire song is about a hot chick. Mix it in with a lame pun of a title, and you've got what may be the worst Queen song ever released.

5. Action This Day
Decently rocking song. It's quite catchy and has almost trippy vocal harmonies. It, once again, uses a drum machine, but hey, what're ya gonna do?

6. Put Out The Fire
The song that sounds most like Queen on this album. It rocks out loud. Thank you, Brian May, for not completely selling out on this one. He recorded the solo drunk. Now, that, my friends, is rock and roll.

7. Life Is Real (Song For Lennon)
Given that this album was released in 1982, 2 years after John Lennon's death, it should be fairly clear what this song is about. It's a gentle piano ballad with quite a few nods to Lennon, musically. Well-done boys.

8. Calling All Girls
Rocking song with only one clear influence from other genres: record scratching. Ah well. Still a good, catchy song.

9. Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)
A twangy ballad with acoustic guitar, and once again, no clear dance influences. Wow.

10. Cool Cat
Well, I guess we needed one more funky song, but a good one. Funky bassline with Freddie Mercury showing his vocal abilities by singing in falsetto. Catchy tune that'll get the head bopping.

11. Under Pressure (Ft. David Bowie)
Best song on the album. Period. PERIOD. The only clear dance influence is the emphasized bass, which improves this song so much. The falsetto parts are amazing. It's such an amazing song, no body can do it like the studio version. Bowie can no longer sing it as he did here.

Conclusion: A decent album with a few gems. I'd say you're best buying a couple of the more Rock songs I mentioned on iTunes or what have you. Overall...

65/100 (An flawed, but underrated little gem)

Last edited by Powerstars; 05-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote