Music Banter - View Single Post - How to music ? Serious question.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
ToneDeafBarbarian
Groupie

Red face How to music ? Serious question.

Hello,

I come to you with a weird question. Despite being 34 years old, I own not a single casette, CD, or (music) MP3. I know no band names, nor song names, other than what I hear on the news for some reason. Everyone in my family is the same, pretty much.

Now, I don't hate music. I just never really got into it. In our home, we didn't listen to music, nor talk about it, and as weird as it sounds, I just have no sense for music. Often, friends have put on their CDs for me and made me listen to this or that song, but it's all just noise to me. It doesn't touch me in any way. We are also all incredibly music-retarded: we can't even tap in synch with a song on the radio.

Time to end that. I'd like to, uh, 'get into' music, and I'm looking for advice. I've been listening to the radio for the past year or so, ("the best from the 80s, 90s and today!"), and I guess that's alright. What would you recommend ?

I'm not so much looking for band or song advice, but for listening advice, I guess. Do you sit down and do nothing while listening to a new album for the first time ? Do you just queue it up and listen to it in the background ? How do you find music you like ?

I was also hoping to get into music while running/jogging, but I suppose you'd look for songs with the same BPM for something like that. How on Earth would one go about finding that ?

As you can see, I'm quite lost, and looking for some guidance that goes beyond "Listen to this band, dude, it's the best!"
ToneDeafBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote