Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pros And Cons Of Modern Ska
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Prince Burridge
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megzer
Hi Prince Burridge,
Im new here. This my first post here actually. I just came into this one because I like ska and the fans are uaually fun. Your prob gonna hate me for askin this but could you name some first and second wave bands please. I only got into the whole ska scene last year but find it hard to learn bout it! I dont really know what type of ska i like but here are few of the bands i have.
Mad Caddies,
Spunge,
Randy,
Reel Big Fish
Aquabats,
Strung out,
Mighty Mighty Bosstones,
Floggin Molly's
Dropkick Murphys

If i like the new stuff sorry.

Hi Megzer

I'm more than happy to give you information about first and second wave ska! The first wave (1960s) artists were nearly all Jamaican (which is where ska came from and later evolved into reggae). They include Prince Buster (acknowledged as the King of Ska), Laurel Aitken, The Skatalites, Don Drummond and many, many others. The Trojan label does first wave ska compilation CDs which can be found in HMV record shops.

The second wave bands I know of were all British-based (though many of them had Jamaican members), and were at the height of their success in the 1979-82 period. The most well-known is Madness (who later did a lot of non-ska stuff). The others are Bad Manners, The Specials, The Beat, The Selecter, and The Bodysnatchers. Some of these bands still do tours and gigs, but with slightly altered line-ups. Occassionally some of the first wave artists also do gigs.

You don't have to apologise for liking the new stuff. Everyone's tastes are different. I like some of the new stuff myself. I've just listened to a Mighty Mighty Bosstones CD and I thought it was brilliant!

Prince Burridge
Prince Burridge is offline   Reply With Quote