Music Banter - View Single Post - How to music ? Serious question.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneDeafBarbarian View Post
Hello,

I come to you with a weird question. Despite being 34 years old, I own not a single casette, CD, or (music) MP3. I know no band names, nor song names, other than what I hear on the news for some reason. Everyone in my family is the same, pretty much.
Well then the world is your oyster. You can listen to anything you want: Jazz Art music, Folk, Rock n Roll etc. There is so much out there it is impossible to listen to it all, comprehend it all, but at the same time it is impossible not to find something you'll like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneDeafBarbarian View Post
As you can see, I'm quite lost, and looking for some guidance that goes beyond "Listen to this band, dude, it's the best!"
"What to Listen For in Music" by Aaron Copland is a good read. It outlines basically a common sense approach to listening to music. Nothing in it is too difficult to understand.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote