Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #4534 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
There may be a better noun, but the Oxford dictionary says, "Matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome." Figures vary for the cost of relegation, from forty to sixty million pounds, a loss which must mean trouble for the smaller clubs. The alternative would be to breeze through the Championship, but relegated teams often tumble through the divisions and Reading have sacked the manager that got them two promotions in as many seasons. If Wigan go down, history shows they will disappear into obscurity, whereas QPR should be a Premier League side (like Leeds Utd). So should Aston Villa.

Saints have Stoke and Sunderland - both can be tenacious.
Okay sure, but in the context of the Premiership they're no longer in trouble, because they've lost their fight to stay in it. Sure, next season they may have a tough time surviving even in the lower tier, but that's next season. When I hear of a team in trouble now, I take it to mean they're in danger of slipping out of the top flight this year, which is why I was surprised to see you talk about QPR and Reading that way. They may be in trouble next season, but that's next season. For now, their troubles are over, in the worst way possible.