Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #282 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
it certainly is interesting how Lizzy's sound changed over the course of their first few albums. I recently reviewed "Shades" and was struck by how bluesy and at times boring it was. "Fighting" is a great album, but if it's the punch in the face and "Jailbreak" is the kick in the teeth, "Nightlife" is a gay little slap on the wrist or push in the back. I hated "Nightlife", such a boring album and very little I could take from it. Even the original version of "Still in love with you" blows: thank goodness they pumped it up live.

Great writeups, US: as I said in the update last week I'm trying to not just skim through the journals but read everything so as to have more to say in the weekly update, and reading yours just shows me what I've been missing.

I must say though, I'm waiting with bated breath for 1976!
Thin Lizzy did seem to be something of a wandering band in their early years and share quite a bit in common with Mott the Hoople and Nazareth in that respect. I'm surprised you disliked Nightlife but as an anamoly in their discography it's going to split opinions. I guess the album's crime kind of comes from the fact that it's classified as being part of the band's golden period without sound like a muscular record at all. And I may nick your "punch in the face kick in the teeth line" for when I do Jailbreak.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote