Music Banter - View Single Post - Music and Hype
Thread: Music and Hype
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sequoioideae
An Butthole

Default Music and Hype

I've been thinking for a long time about this particular subject, and I really don't see too much discussion about it, so I thought it would be cool to see other opinions about this.

So, has there ever been a time when you have neglected to listen to something out of pure of hype? I've on several occasions decided to pass on something due to hype, notably bands hyped by "underground" sites like pitchfork, due to the site's overall stance on music. I also pass on hyped music due to the fact that I feel like I'm supposed to find it enjoyable because other people say so, and if I don't enjoy it, then my taste is some how inferior, so I don't bother with it. I know this seems counter-productive when trying to expand your knowledge of music, but I've found it pretty instrumental in forming my own taste.

To provide a counter point, I realize that many people check out bands because of hype, and that's how they find out about different bands/musicians. I may be rambling here, but a friend of mine gave me this interesting perspective on currently popular artists. Music isn't just purely for auditory entertainment, it allows people to form bonds between another due to their opinions on current hyped music, and music in general. Music can help us connect with other people, and make connections where there would otherwise be none. Of course, you may only just enjoy hyped music, and that's fine too.

Just to be clear, I'm not promoting that whole "OMG SO AND SO IS POPULAR NOW SO DEY SUCK" mentality, I'm just curious as to how this subject is viewed by other music listeners.

God Is My Solar System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
"check yr fucking posable limbs privilege you ****s"

Last edited by Sequoioideae; 05-09-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Sequoioideae is offline   Reply With Quote