Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #82 (permalink)
Zer0

Ethereal Wave Special

I like dipping my toes into little niche genres like this. Finding that perfect mix of otherworldly ambience, intense darkness, and a huge wash of sound is not to easy to find, but here's three bands that hit the spot just nicely. Don't know what it is with boy-girl duos in this genre but it seems to be a requirement.

Lycia

I have fallen in love with this band over the past few months. Their music is dark and despairing yet incredibly beautiful and makes use of acres of space. Their album Cold and particularly the song 'Drifting' are underrated darkwave classics. Think The Sisters of Mercy jamming with Cocteau Twins in a vast warehouse.

Spoiler for Tunes:

Autumn's Grey Solace

A band I've been listening to for a couple of years now. Often accused as being a Cocteau Twins knock-off but for me they possess qualities that Cocteau Twins don't. They have a knack for sounding completely up in the air and grounded at the same time. They reside at the more dream-pop end of darkwave and their first two albums, Within The Depths of a Darkened Forest and Over The Ocean, are essential listening.

Spoiler for Tunes:

Trance To The Sun

Don't know much about this band or where to find their albums, but I listened to a compilation of theirs called Spiders, Aether & Rain on Spotify a couple of times and I love what I heard. Their music has a very interesting vibe to it, very psychedelic and out there despite being dark and menacing.

Spoiler for Tunes: