Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Song of the Day for 05/09/2013 -

Sparks - "Waterproof"

I've been struggling with my depression lately (partly due to my crappy job and financial woes, but mostly due to my stupid brain and its lack of dopamine) and I listened to this on my way to work this morning. One lyric that never really stood out before just seemed to make me laugh/smile:

I'm waterproof, and nothing of a liquid nature's gonna mess with me.

Take that, unnecessary tears. Bitches.

Anyway I've been meaning to do a feature on Steely Dan (my 3rd favorite band this past year). My obsession came on so suddenly, but my love is justified. Brilliant songwriting, complex melodies, majestic mellow artistry - that's Steely Dan.

Steely Dan - "Your Gold Teeth"

Spoiler for Do you see how they roll?:

This next one is very well-known, and it's been played too many times on the radio. It will always remind me of the nerdy kid I hung around with in high school.

Steely Dan - "Do It Again"

Spoiler for He was also into Kraftwerk and was soulless:

This was my jam on the way to work, every day back in '09.

Steely Dan - "Dirty Work"

Like a castle in its corner, in a medieval game, I foresee terrible trouble, and I stay here just the same.

Spoiler for Management team was ultimately the downfall of the place:

At some point in my life ('05-'06ish) I was completely and utterly obsessed with this next song.

Steely Dan - "Rikki Don't Lose That Number"

Spoiler for You don't wanna call nobody else.:

Here's some super smooth nighttime driving music. Don't believe me? Try it.

Steely Dan - "Midnight Cruiser"

Spoiler for also proper bedroom music:

The lyric "I don't have the heart to lose another fight, so until my ship comes in, I'll live night by night" has always been striking to me, in this next song. I've been able to relate to that line alone on so many different occasions. On top of that, it's just a really sick groove.

Steely Dan - "Night by Night"

Spoiler for proper bedroom music II:

I feel as if nothing can really be said about this next song. The way the lyrics flow makes me so jealous; I wish I could write like this.

Steely Dan - "Sign in Stranger"

Spoiler for seething with love/jealousy right now:

If anyone's reading this and they're unfamiliar with Steely Dan, I just have two words for you: Jazz. Rock. (Emphasis on the jazz part.)