Music Banter - View Single Post - The great hardcore/punk countdown
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #454 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

4. Gallows (With the Carter brothers!!!), Genre(Hardcore) London UK era, Modern

I think I need to be very specific here and state Gallows with the Carter brothers up to Frank Carter's departure, as the band seems to be attempting to hobble on without them, which they are completely in their right to do. Problem is, nobody cares.

It would appear that the UK hardcore/punk movement is cursed, in that its musical leaders are ill fated to have short life spans. The Sex Pistols imploded, Discharge lost key members of the band and faded into obscurity, and now it appears that Gallows is headed on the same course.

This band however is significant for two reasons, one they put a British stamp on a primarily American influenced UK hardcore revival, and second, they released arguably the best hardcore album of the modern era with Grey Britain. Say what you will about Converge's Jane Doe, but in my books, Grey Britain takes the cake as the best hardcore album of the 21st century. Hmmm, I should have put Hatebreed on the list. All right, that's it for modern bands, now it's just a blast from the past.

Misery

Queensbury Rules

Staring At The Rude Bois

William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote