Music Banter - View Single Post - The great hardcore/punk countdown
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #455 (permalink)
Newkie
Boozy Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
4. Gallows (With the Carter brothers!!!), Genre(Hardcore) London UK era, Modern

I think I need to be very specific here and state Gallows with the Carter brothers up to Frank Carter's departure, as the band seems to be attempting to hobble on without them, which they are completely in their right to do. Problem is, nobody cares.

It would appear that the UK hardcore/punk movement is cursed, in that its musical leaders are ill fated to have short life spans. The Sex Pistols imploded, Discharge lost key members of the band and faded into obscurity, and now it appears that Gallows is headed on the same course.

This band however is significant for two reasons, one they put a British stamp on a primarily American influenced UK hardcore revival, and second, they released arguably the best hardcore album of the modern era with Grey Britain. Say what you will about Converge's Jane Doe, but in my books, Grey Britain takes the cake as the best hardcore album of the 21st century. Hmmm, I should have put Hatebreed on the list. All right, that's it for modern bands, now it's just a blast from the past.

Misery

Queensbury Rules

Staring At The Rude Bois

Get in! As I said before, I was starting to worry when we didn't see them earlier, surprised they made it this high but definitely won't complain. Gallows came out at just the right time for me personally and luckily also in time to **** all over Enter Shikari and all their ilk. Orchestra of Wolves was what got me into hardcore in the first place. No question that Frank was crucial to them and for this age he can actually sing pretty well. I wanted to like the new album with Wade but it just wasn't the same.

Probably the best of that album I thought, but they do seem on the out. Still, fair play if they can stick to their guns, they're not plummeting as much as Frank himself..Still, he did get a bit too much abuse for "selling out" or mellowing out. If he's happy now then fair play to him, no point hanging around and pretending to be angry just because a bunch of people in wife beaters or hoodies want you to be.

I'm surprised you have no love for Orchestra of Wolves though?

Newkie is offline   Reply With Quote