Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #4564 (permalink)
Newkie
Boozy Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I really don't understand this idea that Rooney hasn't developed into a World Beater.

- The guy is by far the best attacker England has produced for over a decade.
- He has won five Premier League titles, with this recent one being the only season in which he wasn't a MAJOR part in the success.
- Won a Champions League.
- One time PFA and Football Writers POTY and three time TOTY member.
- Scored basically a goal every other game whilst only having one season as the main central striker in a 433 and one as a Second Striker in a 442 (both of which he scored more than 25 goals in the Premier League alone).

The guy is absolutely World Class. Not only as a striker, but also as an all-round player.
I'm not even going to touch that first point. It says **** all about him!

As for not developing into a worldie, my point was that at a young age he was quite rightly compared with Messi and Ronaldo. It looked like he could have all the power, drive and striking ability of pre-leg break shearer plus a load more technical ability, pace and an engine. The titles come with the territory, for me he never reached his promise.

Saying that, the criticism he is getting is probably more down to his personality than his ability, I'm surprised by how quickly manc fans have turned. Would be pretty crazy to sell, given RVP will surely be due for an injury lay off next year..
Newkie is offline   Reply With Quote