Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #1796 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Heaven and Hell --- Black Sabbath --- 1980 (Vertigo)

Definitely one of my all-time favourite Sabbath albums. I've always been more of a Dio fanboy than an Ozzy-follower, though I wouldn't doubt the greatness of the work he did with Sabbath, but this album has it all really: elements of Rainbow, foreshadowings of Dio the band and eight killer songs. The title track, "Die young", "Children of the sea", even the opener, all have that exciting feel of Sabbath changing from just a dark heavy metal band into something more approaching a progressive form, with longer songs and fantasy themes, mostly of course driven by the new guy. The band are in fine fettle, and really seem to enjoy themselves on this album, so it's a pity that one album later RJD would be on his way, though it would set the scene for his own eponymous band to take the stage.

This album works on every level: as a crunching metal successor to albums like "Sabotage", "Vol 4" ands "Master of reality", as a more progressive Sabbath and as a peek into the future, at least as far as Ronnie was concerned. There are few Sabbath fans who will not have this in their library! A true classic!

TRACKLISTING

1. Neon nights
2. Children of the sea
3. Lady Evil
4. Heaven and Hell
5. Wishing well
6. Die young
7. Walk away
8. Lonely is the word