Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

First of all, my overall feeling watching this can be summed up in 2 words: Holy shit! If the studio version of this song was as badass as this, the Buckingham/Nicks incarnation of the 'Mac wouldn't be so hated.

Some people (not naming names here, Ki, not naming names, sweetheart, nope) just don't like Stevie, but honestly ... she is a powerhouse of wonder, and she is spectacular. Stevie Nicks certainly knows how to rock.

Fleetwood Mac - "Rhiannon" (Live, Midnight Special)

But wait, look what I found. Here's a clip of Journey (introduced by none other than Wolfman Jack!) from the Midnight Special.

I've got some fond memories stashed away that I always associate with this song. I remember stumbling out of the door of the duplex I lived in for a short while, to drive down the street (admittedly because I was too stoned to walk, and it was too hot, I don't know, I guess I figured it was a good idea) to the corner store for a little liquid energy. This came on the radio on my way out, driving a crappy Pontiac Sunbird I was borrowing. Mostly static, but the sun was shining and everything was groovy (and mildly sedated).

Journey - "Feeling That Way" (Live, Midnight Special)

Spoiler for I'm so used to "Anytime" following this song:

This song sits deep in the vaults of my psyche, and at the right time, it can make me cry. Picture this: cruising down tree-lined countryside highways deep in the heart of southern Ohio, just as I know my life is about to come crumbling down (which, inevitably, it did) and finding this to be the most soothing thing of all the crap that came on the radio during my soul-searching cruise into nowhereland -

Todd Rundgren - "Hello, It's Me" (Live)

Spoiler for That make-up, though..:

In 2009 I went through this unusual phase where I really loved The Knack. Yes, the same Knack that's responsible for sleazy songs like "My Sharona" and "Baby Talks Dirty", but wait, there's this. This. Many nights spent crying to this sopping mess of a love song.

And you can bet I cried my eyes out when Doug Fieger died.

The Knack - "How Can Love Hurt so Much"

Spoiler for RIP Doug, love you endlessly:

While we're on the topic of things that have caused me the agony of mascara in my eyes, here's another one that rips my heart out every time. This song first came to me in 2007, August. I lost someone very close to me (for a while, at least - goodbyes are a bitch, you know?) - almost exactly a year later, I lost him for good.

(Good riddance. He was an asshole, and always will be.)

It doesn't hurt anymore; Karen just gets my tears flowing because she's Karen, and I love her.

Carpenters - "Tryin' To Get the Feeling Again"

Spoiler for Karen is my long lost love:

Just to lighten the mood a little, this is my favorite Carpenters song. It's a cute, cheesy cover, but I'm pretty much obliged to love it because, well, Karen had the voice of an angel.

Carpenters - "Beechwood 4-5789"

Spoiler for RIP Karen, beautiful angel:

On a completely unrelated note, and just because this has been swimming through my head for days...

This is one of my dad's favorite songs - he used to sing the part about the "tall walkin' big black cat" to my cat (RIP babylove) but always seemed to be singing bits and pieces of this song around the house.

If anyone can decipher all of the lyrics without any help, you've got to be a genius.

The Hollies - "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress"

Spoiler for don't be scared, 'cause you're gonna be spared:

While browsing, I also found this. One of my favorites from high school.

Cliff Richard - "Devil Woman"

Spoiler for super groovy stuff:

Which reminds me of a song I requested once, back when radio stations had request lines and proper music. I dedicated it to my mother, because I was a terrible child, and I don't blame her for hating me now.

Eagles - "Witchy Woman"

Spoiler for I'm sorry, mothra. I mean, mother.: