Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #19429 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

The long list for today...

First the 60's-70's stuff:
Slade - Slayed? - Already bringing my collection up to 4, focusing on the classic era, and the album that has a perfect song for this day, "Mama, Weer All Crazee Now"
Plus the following...
Lou Reed - Take No Prisoners Live
Badfinger- S/T and Wish You Were Here - The Warners albums
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen - Ozone
Cheap Trick - At Budokan
Cher - The Sonny side of Cher (Hey, it was part of her 60's recordings)
Vanilla Fudge - Renaissance
Vicky Carr - Nashville by Carr
The Alice Cooper Show
Bee Gees - Idea - US Stereo version, Atco - Good Early Melodramatic Gibbs 60's Pop action from '68.

Next...Comedy!
Dick Clark's Uncensored Radio Bloopers (Released in 84 to cash in on his Bloopers and Blunders show...RECOMMENDED FOR ADULT LISTENING! sticker)

Here's Johnny! Magic Moments from The Tonight Show (The infamous Casablanca album that was shipped Gold and returned double, maybe triple that!)

Next...Going to the Disco!
Brick - Good High
Disco Party - a 2 LP set of sounds of TK and related labels. You know KC and the Sunshine Band, the rest is just as good.

Some 80's sounds...
Exposed - Columbia's double whopper of what was then-new sounds focusing on the "New Wave" plus some of the usual corporate Rock rubbish. Brings back plenty of memories

Times Square soundtrack - What more can I say but "The Soundtrack that was hipper than the movie!" Actually, I'm sure that this was the open door for a lot of Americans to hear some of the finest New Pop of the day. In 1980, The Cure, Gary Numan, The Ruts and even The Ramones were pretty edgy for the Midwest. Pretty much a gateway album for some Americans who were still lagging behind on what was really happening in my opinion.

Kaja - Extra Play - EMI America's first attempt to sell the sounds of great Bass playing, "Turn Your Back on Me", and what was left of Kajagoogoo in their post-hit era. In other words, for New Wave fans only, but there is some good playing by Nick Beggs even if the singing is not as listenable.

Dream Academy - Remembrance Days - The other album from the "Life In a Northern Town" band...only 25 cents.

Brain Setzer - Knife Feels Like Justice - The Stray Cats' leader goes solo, and in a more produced 80's way. An ill fit, but a nice way to remember '85 nevertheless. Live Nude Guitars was next.

Crowded House - Temple of Low Men - The second album, and I'm sure one that hit the cut-outs pretty quick in The US with no big hit to carry it. Would like to hear it soon, though.

Some not-so-great but still interesting albums with explanations
707 - The Second Album (I have the first and Megaforce, why not?)
Angel - Sinful (Like 707, they were on Casablanca and this was their ill fated '79 disc)
Airplay - A contender for one of the cheesiest covers ever. No Airplay resulted (OUCH!)
Autograph - That's the Stuff - ...which winds up in the Cut Out bin!
Toto - Turn Back - the album before 4 and most of the songs you are sick of.
Diesel - Watts in a Tank - Another contender for cheesiest album title ever

Soundtracks from 80's Movie Hell
Against All Odds (Well, at least it has Peter Gabriel's Walk Through the Fire, Big Country, and Kid Creole and the Coconuts. One side Pop, the other Instrumentals - not a good Commercial prospect)

Vision Quest (Style Council are on it, alongside with others that made "Shout to the Top" stand out even more. Possibly the 2'nd best known Council song in The US or 3'rd)

Playing for Keeps - C/O, featuring Arcadia's other song, Peter Frampton, that Collins guy once again, Sister Sledge, and one Julian Lennon

She's Having a Baby - a Soundtrack that was perfect for maturing New Pop fans with Dave Wakeling, XTC, Love and Rockets, Gene Loves Jezebel, Kate Bush...pretty much a sampler of what the College kid leaving music listening behind was listening to in the last round before living on memories. And it was for a John Hughes film, too.

PLUS -
You're Soaking In It - A compilation of Indie PA and NJ bands from the Late 80's. Electric Love Muffin and Mick Cancer may be familiar...maybe not. From 1988, and something that takes me back to my Indie/College years. Is it good? Edit: Pretty much on the Meh side is my answer.

Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam - the whole 2-LP happening with the Instrumental album that was an added attraction, in great condition. Wanted to end this list with something notable!

Last edited by Screen13; 05-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote