Music Banter - View Single Post - Teenagers with an interest in punk music?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I think it's just teenagers in general; not punk teenagers. Anyone older than them just "doesn't understand," because their opinions and struggles are so vastly different, more powerful, and more important than anyone else's.

I have a fourteen year old sister, and a seventeen year old cousin, who occasionally consult me for advice because their parents are so "lame and old and out of the loop," but they seriously doubt me when I say, "Yeah, totally! I remember feeling like that! Basically, you're going to look back on it and realize it wasn't as big a deal as it feels like right now."

And they're like, "Yeah, but this is MUCH MORE INTENSE than anything you've ever experienced. You have no idea."

Same with my sister and music. She's into Mumford & Sons now, and I was like, "What?! I played them in the car and you yelled at me to turn them off, just last year!" And she was like, "I didn't like that SONG."

Then I was like, "Dude, you're playing, 'The Cave,' which is the exact same song I had on that CD..."
Hate to gravedig like this, but this thread kinda sparked an interest. First, I hate to throw around that whole "I'm not like that" speech that everyone has heard someone my age say a hundred times before, but I really am not like that. Being a teenager who has a particular love for Crust Punk and old Emotive Hardcore, I can say with some certainty that I would have never heard of acts like From Ashes Rise, Wow, Owls!, Oroku or anything like that without old listeners of the genres to give me recs.

As for my response to this thread, I'm a teen who likes punk music but I don't necessarily consider myself a punk. If anything, I'd be called a prep by any punk. But I love the music.
I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl is offline   Reply With Quote