Music Banter - View Single Post - When someone you love likes music you hate
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
he doesn't like prog.
he isn't 'the one'.

I try to look for beauty in just about everything, especially if I haven't heard it before - for instance, the love of my life is incredibly partial to acoustic/indie sorts of music, and I find it difficult to listen to because it affects me too much - it isn't that I don't like it, it's just that I'm a little too sensitive so I tease him a little by joking that the artist barely has a pulse, or that I'm bored to death, but it's all good-natured teasing.

Honestly, I'm not able to be with someone whose musical taste clashes too much with mine. If I'm with someone who listens to music that I don't care for at all (for instance, a couple of my exes were into some really obnoxious crap from the 90s - Aqua, for example) it turns me off. It sounds shallow but a person's musical taste can really make or break my bond with them.

Spoiler for cutesy stuff, proceed at your own risk:
Ki teases me once in a while for my devotion to Fleetwood Mac, but I laugh and say, yeah, I'm a little cheesy like that, but he's a little cheesy too (for every ABBA song I've got up my sleeve, he's got Mika or Rick Astley to counter it) so I guess you could say that while we differ just a teensy bit, it's nothing severe. We complement each other very well with our taste.