Music Banter - View Single Post - Phonographic Memory
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

One thing I always get a little bit of flack for is my love for ABBA. Let's consider a couple things first:

1. People in America haven't really experienced ABBA beyond "Dancing Queen" and the "Mamma Mia" craze, therefore most people in my general vicinity (at any point of my life) don't realize that...

2. .... Björn Ulvæus and Benny Andersson are genius composers. They know just how to write a melody to really capture the heart and soul of the listener.

3. A lot of people still dismiss ABBA as a disco act, and little more than four pretty faces shaking their asses in flamboyant costumes.

I understand this, but I must politely express my disdain whenever I have the chance. ABBA is great. I have been a lifelong fan, and at some point, I will have "ᗅᗺᗷᗅ" tattooed somewhere on this temporary carcass of mine.

Please be patient, and keep an open mind as you experience my special feature on this delightful Swedish quartet.

When I was 16 or so, I was completely obsessed with this song. I was totally smitten for someone much older than myself at the time, and this track will always remind me of what a silly young girl I really was.

ABBA - "Dum Dum Diddle"

Spoiler for and you're always smiling when you're playing your violin:

This was also a relevant track when I was 16. I had quite a thing for one of my English teachers.

ABBA - "When I Kissed the Teacher"

Spoiler for I'm still sort of ashamed to admit it:

A few years prior to both of these obsessions, when I was about 13, one of my cassettes (I actually had a pretty nice collection for being a little girl and all) got a tiresome workout from all the times I had to hear this song.

ABBA - "Take a Chance On Me"

Spoiler for Frida is so cute though:

When I was 16 I bought "Take a Chance On Me" as a vinyl single - and this was the B-side. I was, admittedly, way more hooked on the B-side than the featured single. I must admit, though, the lyrics are really cool, and I've always been able to relate to this to some extent.

"I'm a Marionette"

Spoiler for favorable B-side:

I remember a time, a couple years ago, when I was driving away from an airport and crying my eyes out as this song was playing.

ABBA - "I Am Just a Girl"

Spoiler for it's actually the story of my life:

There was a time in my life when I suffered a great loss. Perhaps the worst in my life at that point. This song helped me get through. It's beautiful. It still makes me tear up a little because it's heartbreaking. I hope it will never be relevant in my life ever again. But it does showcase Agnetha's incredible vocal beauty.

ABBA - "My Love, My Life"

Spoiler for oh, Agnetha...:

And of course, everyone loves when Frida steps forward.

I have no friends, no one to see - and I am never invited.
When I am here, talking to you, no wonder I get excited.

This extra verse was not included in many commercial compilations, but it could not have been any more relevant to my entire life up until my mid-20s.

ABBA - "The Name of the Game"

Spoiler for and you make me show what I'm trying to conceal.:

Agnetha and Frida weren't always the leading ladies in every ABBA song. Here's a great one with Björn on lead (and some racy lyrics, come to think of it). And it's so funky.

ABBA - "Man in the Middle"

Spoiler for something rather atypical for ABBA:

And now for some recent favorites:

"Under Attack"

Spoiler for 80s ABBA!:

"The Day Before You Came"

Spoiler for thoughtful, beautiful lyrics:

When I was about 19ish I had the intro to this song as a ringtone, and it's still one of my favorites because it accurately sums up a large part of my life and my general disdain for every shitty job I've ever had.

"Money Money Money"

Spoiler for still there never seems to be a single penny left for me:

"If It Wasn't for the Nights"

Spoiler for what disco SHOULD sound like:

"Lovers (Live a Little Longer)"

Spoiler for questionable bedroom music perhaps:

Screw it, I'm pasting the full album here.

ABBA - "Voulez Vous" (Full Album) - 1979

I bought a copy of this album on vinyl when I was about 20ish, but it was left in a hot car and ultimately warped. So I bought a nicer copy about a year ago. That's how devoted I am to my collection. Or how lame I am. I can't tell which.

In short, I love ABBA.